The graduate admissions process at UBC is a collaboration between the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies and the Department of Anthropology. The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies determines whether an applicant meets the minimum admission requirements which they have set, while the Department of Anthropology determines if an applicant meets the academic standards required for graduate level study which they have set for the program. Please make sure to visit the Prospective Students section of the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website.
How To Apply
Please carefully read all of the information relating to the application form, fees, and supporting materials before proceeding to complete the online application form.
- Submit your application online.
- Upload scanned transcripts and all supporting documentation online. (Please note that the file size cannot exceed 10MB. Preferred file format is PDF but you may upload: BMP, DOC, DOCX, GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, RTF, TXT.)
- If you are admitted to our Graduate Program, submit 2 copies of all official transcripts in sealed envelopes, endorsed by the issuing institution to the UBC Anthropology Graduate Secretary by postal mail (please see mailing address provided at the end of this page).
The Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies sets the minimum requirements for admission to any graduate program at UBC. International students should also check their country’s specific requirements (see the bottom of the page).
1. Apply Online
Complete the online application. To be considered for September entry, please submit your completed application including all supporting documents, reference letters and official, endorsed transcripts, by the deadlines noted below. Note: the online 2018 application process will open on September 1, 2017.
- The department deadline for receipt of completed, Master program applications is December 1, 2017.
- The department deadline for receipt of completed, Doctoral program applications is December 1, 2017.
Early submissions are encouraged.
2. Submit Supporting Documents
Statement of Interest
In the online application portal, you will be given the opportunity to add a Statement of Interest describing why you wish to pursue graduate studies at UBC and in which area of research you want to concentrate your work. Your prospectus or statement of interest should be around 500 words (two pages, double-spaced). For more information, click here.
The most important first steps in applying for admission to our graduate program is finding and approaching a potential supervisor in the department. This gives you an opportunity to discuss the research you are interested in completing as a graduate student. We make every effort to match an applicant with a supervisor if they are unable to find one. Please visit our Department of Anthropology website via the People page where you will find a comprehensive list of our current faculty and their research interests.
Supporting Document Checklist
Your full online application should contain the following (Please note that the file size cannot exceed 10MB. Preferred file format is PDF but you may upload: BMP, DOC, DOCX, GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, RTF, TXT.):
- Application form (online)
- Language proficiency test score and official document (TOEFL – necessary only if the language of instruction in your previous university was not in English), submitted online
- All official undergraduate and graduate transcripts (all post-secondary transcripts) and if necessary English translation
- Scan of official degree certificate (only if your degree is from a country that does not show that the degree has been conferred on the transcript) and if necessary English translation, submitted online
- Three (3) references, submitted online
- Statement of Interest, submitted online
- Writing sample, submitted online
- Curriculum Vitae, submitted online
- Teaching Assistantship (TA) application form (optional), submitted online
- Two (2) TA recommendation forms (required only if applying for a TA and can either be sent in a sealed and signed envelope from the referees, or submitted online)
*Please note that the GRE is not required
For further details on the application process and requirements, please click here.
Applicants will be asked to upload transcripts with their grade key (usually located on the back of the transcript). Even if the applicant does not yet have final marks on the transcript, we still require a copy as evidence of registration and academic progress.
References will be able to upload their letters once you have submitted your application, so please ensure that they are able to submit by the deadline noted above and that you provide them with appropriate timelines.
The deadline for online applications for the 2018-2019 academic year is December 1, 2017. Once you have submitted your application, your application form and fee are sent electronically to the Graduate Secretary.
If you are admitted to our Graduate Program, you are required to submit 2 copies of all official transcripts in sealed envelopes, endorsed by the issuing institution to the UBC Anthropology Graduate Secretary by postal mail (please refer to the mailing address below).
Graduate Secretary – Admissions
Department of Anthropology
University of British Columbia
6303 NW Marine Drive
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
We look forward to receiving your application.