Please make sure to visit the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies web section for New Grad Students.
Registering for Courses
To determine what courses you are required to take, please have a look at the appropriate program of study guidelines. Below are quick links to the appropriate pages:
Program of Study:
List of Courses:
With the help of your supervisor, you should then be able to plan your program of study (i.e., what courses you will need for your program) on your program record. Please contact your (temporary) supervisor if you have not done so already. If you are unsure, please e-mail the Graduate Student Secretary.
- Access the Student Service Centre. Instructions on how to use the Student Service Centre (as well as other info gems) can be found in the main/central area of the webpage.
- On the top left-hand corner, you will see a “Login/Logout” box. Please click the “Login” button. Once you click this button, you will be redirected to the Student Service Centre Campus-Wide Login web page.
- Follow the directions under “Option 1: I do not have a Campus-Wide Login (CWL) Account.” In the “Login Name” box, type in your eight digit UBC student number (this should be on your admission letters from the Faculty of Graduate Studies). In the “Password” box, type in yymmdd (based on your birthday). Remember to change this password as soon as you get in.
- Once you have successfully created a CWL, you should be directed back to the Student Service Centre. However, the tabs on the “myServices” box under the “Login/Logout” box will now be visible.
- Select the “Registration” tab
- Select “(Year)W(Session)” button, then press the “Add/Drop Sections” button.
You should be able to figure out the rest from here. If you have problems, please contact the Graduate Student Secretary.
News and Contact Information
Current graduate students share mailboxes outside the Anthropology and Sociology (AnSo) Main Office. Mailboxes are arranged in alphabetically order with red lettering designating students in the Anthropology programs and blue designating students in the Sociology programs.
UBC Email Account
Information on how to set up a UBC Netinfo/alumni email account is available here.
You can check your email account from any internet connection through the myUBC web site; however, in order to do so, you will need to set up a Campus Wide Login (CWL). This can be done through the CWL website.
Anthropology News and Other Mailing Lists
The Anthropology News is a monthly newsletter highlighting upcoming talks, scholarships, grad society meetings, events and announcements for faculty and graduate students. This newsletter is distributed to graduate students through the anth news list-serve.
Other lists you may wish to subscribe to are:
- i-house (same instructions as above except type in: subscribe i-house)
- Other groups through the Graduate Student Society
Grad Bulletin Boards
Information distributed by the Grad Office and through Anthropology News is posted on either the Grad Events/Info bulletin board across from the Main Office or the Awards/Employment bulletin board across the Department mail room entrance. If you do not wish to subscribe to Anthropology News, please make sure to check these bulletin boards regularly to stay informed.