I am an anthropological archaeologist and much of my research experience has focused on the Northwest Coast. My current research focus concerns the voluntary management of cultural heritage by corporations (e.g., extractive industries, financial sector). I am also working on a project which seeks to use the deep time perspective of archaeological data to better understand the extirpation of the Vancouver Island Marmot from parts of their historical range.
I am trained as an anthropological archaeologist and I have obtained further formal education in the areas of intangible cultural heritage, the management of heritage sites, the assessment of cultural landscapes and historic districts, built heritage rehabilitation and the assessment of site significance. I have spent most of my career working in the commercial sector as a heritage consultant and I have been fortunate to work across Canada and internationally in both urban and rural environments.
I am an Expert Member and Vice President (Americas) of the International Committee on Archaeological Heritage Management, a scientific committee of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), an NGO that advises the UNESCO World Heritage Committee on matters that pertain to all aspects of the management of heritage sites and landscapes.
Since 2015, I have been an Advisory Committee member for the Canadian Archaeological Radiocarbon Database (CARD) based out of the University of British Columbia. CARD is an on-line data platform for the study of demography, geology, paleoecology, archaeology, climate studies and history from the Ice Age to modern times.
- (Mason, Andrew R. and Meng Ying). “Evaluating Standards for Private-Sector Financial Institutions and the Management of Cultural Heritage.” Advances in Archaeological Practice. 8(1):1-14. doi:10.1017/aap.2019.44.
- (Mason, Andrew R. and David Pokotylo). “World Heritage – Canada (revised).” In, Claire Smith ed., Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology (2nd ed.). Springer Press, New York.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Early Houses in the Lower Fraser River Region.” In, Mike Rousseau, ed., Archaeology of the Lower Fraser River Region. SFU Archaeology Press, Burnaby, British Columbia, Pp. 209-216.
- (Pokotylo, David and Andrew R. Mason). “Cultural Heritage Management and First Nations in Canada.” In, Claire Smith ed., Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology. Springer Press, New York.
- (Pokotylo, David and Andrew R. Mason). “Cultural Heritage Management in Canada.” In, Claire Smith ed., Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology. Springer Press, New York.
- (Mason, Andrew R. and David Pokotylo). “World Heritage – Canada.” In, Claire Smith ed., Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology (2nd ed.). Springer Press, New York.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “North of the Equator: Where Policy Meets Practice.” International Journal of Cultural Property 20(4):484-487.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Cultural Resource Management in the Context of Forestry in British Columbia: Existing Conditions and New Opportunities.” In, D.B. Tindall, Ronald Trosper, and Pamela Perreault eds., Aboriginal Peoples and Forest Lands in British Columbia and Canada. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver. Pp. 102-117.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “International Project Financing and Cultural Heritage Protection.” International Journal of Cultural Property, Vol. 19: 556-560.
- (Moore, Charles D. and Andrew R. Mason). “Demonstration Survey of Prehistoric Reef-Net Sites with Sidescan Sonar, near Becher Bay, British Columbia, Canada.” International Journal of Nautical Archaeology, Vol. 41 (1), 179-189.
- (Pokotylo, David L. and Andrew R. Mason). “Archaeological Heritage Resource Protection in Canada: The Legislative Basis.” In George Smith and Phyllis Messenger, eds., Cultural Heritage Management, Policies, and Issues in Global Perspective. University Press of Florida, Gainsville. Pp. 48-69.
- (Kobylinski, Z., A. Smirnoff, M. Tomasek, J. Urtans, A. Ono, M. Kishimoto, D. Comer, C. Rivet, A. Mason, and M. Truscott). “Archaeological Heritage.” In, Marilyn Truscott, Michael Petzet, and John Ziesemer, eds., Heritage @ Risk: ICOMOS World Report 2004/2005 on Monuments and Sites in Danger. K.G. Saur, München. Pp. 255-259.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Lithic Artifacts.” In James P. Delgado, ed., Maritime and Underwater Archaeology: An Encyclopedia. British Museum, London. Pp. 242-243.
- (Daryl, Fedje, Joanne McSporran and Andrew R. Mason). “Early Holocene Archaeology and Paleoecology at the Arrow Creek sites in Gwaii Haanas.” Arctic Anthropology, Vol. 33(1):116-142.
- (Pokotylo, David L. and Andrew R. Mason). “Public Attitudes Toward Archaeological Resources and their Management.” In George S. Smith and John Ehrenhard, eds., Protecting the Past, CRC Press Inc., Boca Raton. Pp. 9-18.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Inuvik.” In, Margaret Bertulli, ed., Archaeological Field Work in the Northwest Territories, Canada in 1997. Prince of Wales Northern Heritage Centre Archaeology Reports No. 19, pp. 4, 7, and 10.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Sunken Ships and Rusty Bits.” Review of “The Wreck Diver’s Guide to Sailing Ship Artifacts of the 19th Century,” and “Vancouver’s Undersea Heritage: Shipwrecks and Submerged Cultural Sites in Burrard Inlet and Howe Sound.” (by David Leigh Stone). The Midden, Volume 28(1):13-14, 16.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). Review of “A Complex Culture of the British Columbia Plateau: Traditional Stl’atl’imx Resource Use.” (edited by Brian Hayden). The Midden, Volume 24(1):6.
- (Mason, Andrew R. and David L. Pokotylo). “Now You See It, Now You Don’t: A Contemporary Stone Tool Quarry Site at Willowlake River, NWT.” (Abstract). Musk-Ox, Volume 39:335.
- (Mason, Andrew, David Pokotylo, and Gordon Mohs). “A 5,000 Year-Old Structure from Hatzic, British Columbia.” (Abstract). Northwest Anthropological Research Notes, Volume 26:175-176.
- (Easton, N. Alexander, Andrew Mason, and Charles Moore). “Inundated Cultural Deposits at Montague Harbour, Galiano Island, British Columbia: Preliminary Results of 1990-91 Fieldwork Seasons.”(Abstract). Northwest Anthropological Research Notes, Volume 26: 156.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). Review of “Handbook of North American Indians, Volume 7: Northwest Coast.” (edited by Wayne Suttles). Nexus, Volume. 9:266-269.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Excavations at the Hatzic Rock Site.” The Midden, Volume 23(4):1-2.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “New Dates from Hatzic.” The Midden, Volume 23, No. 5:3.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Montague Harbour: More Than Just Sinking Units.” The Midden, Volume 22(4): 6-7.
- (Mason, Andrew R.). “Montague Harbour: Archaeology Goes Underwater.” Island Tides, Volume 2(12), June 7.
- (Mason, Andrew R., V. Feddema, D. Hayles, and L. McFarlane). “Archaeology: Fascinating, But What Is It?” (reprinted). Arch Notes, Volume 90(1):24-26.
- (Mason, Andrew R., V. Feddema, D. Hayles, and L. McFarlane). “Archaeology: Fascinating, But What Is It?” The Midden, Volume 21(5):1‑3.