Gain global perspectives, deeper insight into human relationships, and specialized knowledge of Anthropology through our honours program at UBC Vancouver.
Admission to the honours program requires a high B average, credit for ANTH 100 and ARCL 103 or 140, and 3 credits chosen from other ANTH or ARCL courses at the 200-level.
In order to be admitted to the honours program, students will need at least 48 credits in anthropology, including:
- The same upper-level requirements as the Major in Anthropology; and,
- An undergraduate honours thesis: ANTH 449 (6 credits)
- Students can apply to the Honours Program at the end of their third year, during the summer prior to fourth year, or at the beginning of their fourth year
- Students must have a cumulative grade average of 78% or higher in order to be considered
- Students must seek out a professor in Anthropology who will agree to act as their Research Advisor (i.e. a Faculty Thesis Supervisor)
- Students develop a thesis topic and proposal, which must be approved by their Research Advisor; thesis proposals should be approximately two pages (minimum) in length
- Students develop an initial bibliography, which will be attached to their application to the program
- Students must review that they have met the credits requirements of the honours program, using Degree Navigator
- An application form must be completed by the student and approved by their Research Advisor
- Additionally, students should get the Honours Application Form – Addendum signed
- Submit an application that includes:
- A completed Anthropology Honours Application Form
- Unofficial transcripts
- Degree Navigator print-out
- Thesis Proposal
- Proposed Bibliography
- The application deadline is September 14, 2020 at 3 p.m.
Once applications are received and approved by the Honours Advisor, the Undergraduate Program Assistant will register students to ANTH 449.
Students in the honours program must take a total of 60 credits in Anthropology, at least 48 of which must be numbered 300 or higher.
All students considering the Honours program in Anthropology are encouraged to seek advising with the Anthropology undergraduate advisor prior to enrolling in the program and periodically during their third and fourth years.