Discover excellence in Anthropology at UBC. Our exceptional students and faculty from the Department of Anthropology have garnered numerous awards and accolades, showcasing their outstanding achievements. Join us in celebrating their remarkable accomplishments and explore the vibrant world of anthropological exploration. Welcome to a community of excellence and discovery!
- PhD student Félix Giroux has been awarded a Trudeau Scholarship, the premiere award for graduate students in Canada. The Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Scholarship Programoffers a three-year leadership program designed to train Engaged Leaders, equipping doctoral candidates with the skills to translate their ideas into action, for the betterment of their communities, Canada, and the world.
- Kudos to PhD student Emily Jean Leischner on being a winner of this year’s Public Engagement Award for graduate students awarded by the UBC Public Humanities Hub.
- Professor Millie Creighton presents
- Sonya Prasad the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) award.
- Emma Jing Li (MA) the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) award.
- Patrick Morgan Ritchie (PhD) the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) award.
- Pengpeng Chen (BA Honours) the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA) award.
- PhD student Megan Harris was selected for the Department of Anthropology’s Charles and Alice Borden Fellowship for Archaeology.
- PhD student Elias (Eli) Alexander won the Emeriti Professors’ Graduate Research Award
- PhD student Erika Balcombe received the Michael Ames Museum Scholarship
- PhD student Christopher Smith was awarded the Francis Reif Scholarship
- MA student Malika Hays won the Wilson Duff Memorial Scholarship
- MA student Erin Socholotiuk received the Sentinel Prize in Anthropology
- Undergraduate student Jay Hilsden won the Julie Cruikshank Prize for Best Paper
- Maggie O’Donnell won the Julie Cruikshank Prize for Best Paper submitted by a Graduate Student
- Professors Mark Turin and Patrick Moore won the UBC Faculty of Arts Mentorship Award which recognizes faculty members with an outstanding commitment to promoting the academic and personal growth of junior colleagues, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students, and who foster a community that is built of integrity, inclusion, and respect.
- Professor Andrew Martindale received the UBC Killam Research Prize. The award recognizes outstanding research and scholarly contributions.
- The Anthropology Students’ Association selected Professor Amir Shiva to receive the 2022-2023 Outstanding Teaching Award.
- Professor Helena Zeweri was awarded with the 2023 Engaged Anthropology Prize from the Australian Anthropology Society for a project she developed called “Beyond Refuge: Afghan Refugee Rights Activism in Australia”.
- Patricia Ormerod won the 2022 President’s Service Award for Excellence! This prestigious award recognizes Patricia Ormerod for bringing expertise, empathy, and dedication to her role as Manager of the Laboratory of Archaeology (LOA).